Sunday, September 09, 2007

Abhyasa

I led a morning retreat this summer soltice on the two wings of yoga, abhyasa (practice) and vairagya (non-attachment.) Today was spent, as many days are here, cultivating abhyasa. Rising very early I went to led practice at the Shala. I then completed half of my Sanskrit homework. Then, I had another music lesson. I am slowly falling in love with this teacher. Yes, I am learning all about classical (South) India music, but he is also a masterful teacher. I think most people who meet me know how mad I am for excellence in teaching.

I would love to say today that I feel footlose and fancy free, but I have much weighing on my heart. If you could as you read t his blog send many blessing toward my family, we need it grately.

One of my favorite passages on practice:

I believe that we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. In each it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit. One becomes in some area an athlete of God. To practice means to perform, in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired.

Martha Graham

Keep Practcing

4 comments:

Judy Manning said...

Good Morning Jill, Thanks for the intentions for the family. I will forward you the information you requested as soon as possible. Remember I LOVE YOU! mom

Judy Manning said...

Good Morning for you - according to your clock it is 5 am and am sitting here waiting for your post.... Remember I LOVE YOU! mom

Garny LooWho said...

Good morning Jill.
I will send prayer to you
and your family. I hope it
reaches you quickly. With much
Love and Deep Appreciation-

Anonymous said...

Jill, we all have been praying and supporting your and your family as much as possible. All is going to work out just as it should.

We all love you all with all of our hearts.

Love,

Aunt MJ