Thursday, January 08, 2009

Philly Field Trip in Three (part 1)


When I began practicing Ashtanga Yoga three years ago, first off I didn't know that I would be practicing Ashtanga Yoga, and I didn't understand the intensity of the commitment. One of the hardest parts about leaving Mysore is leaving the community. Showing up every morning to that full room, and practicing with some much energy flying it is beyond description. In the winter here is it really hard to work up a decent sweat. In Mysore, this year I worried that the sweat flooding into my ears was going to give me an ear infection.

Most days I practice in very small groups, some a bit larger. I never practice in the kind of class that I teach jam packed, energized, and focused. This week as part of the New Year I am trying to get out and enjoy the vast samplings in the yoga community here in Philadelphia. Yesterday I made the rainy pilgrimage to Queens Village to Practice Yoga. This yoga shala has been instrumental in building the Philadelphia community. I believe it opened in the spring of 2002. It was a very sweet class, with a very sweet teacher. It was a small group, and a very basic but deep exploration of asana and breath, and for me a contemplation about yoga as an offering.

Sometimes, "students" who are local yoga teachers will take their very own field trip to a class that I am teaching. Sometimes, these individuals will disregard the offerings of the class. I don't know what that is all about. For me it is pretty simple. If I go to a friends house for dinner and they are serving yoga, just because they know I love yoga, the ONLY choice is to eat the meal that has been crafted with love, and savor in that experience.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

yay! a post with a photograph!! yay.

Unknown said...

Word.