Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How do you define practice?


Ashtanga yoga students take practice very seriously as a daily ritual. I have defined and redefined what practice means to me so many times over the years. I was just re mined of this very inspiring passage by the amazing Martha Graham. The first part is beloved by those who practice yoga because she is directly talking about prana. It is the juiciest part, but after that she takes a strong turn toward action and defines practice as:

"Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired."

Martha Graham


Not only was Martha a yogi...she sounds like an Ashtangi.

I love practice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"practice means repeat" ... I liked that definition too!